Safety, as trivial as it may sound, is one of the most important factors for work at the site. Since the work happens at the off-takers site, it becomes a matter of concern for not just the developer/EPC player but also the off-taker. In many cases, people at the site are unaware of the specific and generic safety measures to be taken for solar power plant installations. We often tend to believe that actual safety measures are taken care of only during the installation process. But a large part of planning the work at site involves how to work in the safest possible manner and be highly efficient and prepared for emergencies.
As one of the leading rooftop solar companies in India, we ensure that we adhere to safety measures over and above the customers’ expectations.
It is important to ensure that work happens safely and effectively to prolong the life of the system and ensure the well-being of the workers operating the system.
- Highly trained personnel are appointed for solar power installation. These technicians use personal protective equipment (PPE) of extremely high standards.
- A Job Safety Analysis (JSA) is conducted before executing any project.
- Even after solar power installation, the O&M work is carried out with strict adherence to safety norms at site.
- The solar power plant is monitored remotely for performance.
- CleanMax Solar provides 24X7 solar power system maintenance service.
Safety begins with personnel
During any solar power installation, the first step is to ensure the personnel are properly trained. It is not enough for staff to know how to carry out their operations safely, they must also be trained to handle emergency situations in a timely and effective manner.
Other personnel considerations:
- Regular monitoring of the physical fitness of the staff for the strenuous tasks they are expected to perform
- Ensure they have valid medical certification suitable for the job on hand
- A stern policy on the use of inebriants on the job
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety shoes, safety helmets, reflecting jackets, gloves and safety belt, full body harnesses with permanent lifelines should be strictly mandatory for all workers and all jobs
Job safety analysis
CleanMax Solar prioritizes the safety of people as well as the system, hence we carry out a Job Safety Analysis (JSA) before every project. This is important to pinpoint potential safety hazards and address them accordingly. Accordingly, necessary precautions are taken to make sure that the PV systems run smoothly. Let’s look at the measures we take for safety purpose. The pointers below have been extracted from our safety procedures manual, as a quick solar installation checklist.
Solar installation checklist
Surveying rooftop for plot points
- High quality and well maintained Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to be used during the solar power installation
- While the installation is in progress, use of mobiles and other electrical devices is prohibited to avoid all distractions
Unloading of modules, clamps, electrical panels and cables
- The attachment of modules to the crane or forklift has to be secured by a qualified person
- While unloading the modules, crane speed should be maintained below 10 km per hour
Lifting of modules by lifting operators
- To avoid accidents, lifting equipment is maintained at a safe pace from installation personnel
- The jack or boom of the lifting equipment should be oiled and serviced regularly to ensure smooth operations
Lifting modules manually by stairs
- If the modules are lifted manually onto the rooftop, the path is sanitised and cleared of any physical obstacles
- Adequately sized project teams are formed for easy handling of modules
- During the solar power plant installation, instructions are laid out and to be followed diligently by one and all
- The entire installation staff is regularly trained to avoid any damage to the modules
Routing of cable
- During the routing of the cable, a thorough check is done to ensure the cable is not damaged
- The entire process should be carried out under stringent supervision of qualified engineers
Electrical panel installation
- Cut resistant quality hand gloves are used as and when modules are physically installed
- Utmost care is taken to not overload the panels
Routing the AC cable
- When the AC cable is routed, the tray is secured for any wear and tear
- Once the tray is clear of any damage, it is carefully positioned to keep it moisture free
- The monkey ladder, which is used for installation, comes with a provision for attachment of safety lanyard
- The ropes are also customised to suit individual projects
- During the process, the speed of the boring machine is always maintained below 10 km per hour
- The team strictly adheres to the use of cotton, PVC, and leather gloves while fixing electrodes, handling backfilling compound and connecting the electrical panel
- Welding goggles, face shields, and aprons are also used during the welding of the system
CleanMax Solar adopts a comprehensive approach to ensure solar power safety so that the solar power plant installation is carried out without any risk and runs smoothly for years to come. To know more about solar power plants, check out this insightful solar power FAQs.